TODAY IT’S NATIONAL COMING OUT DAY! Every year on National Coming Out Day, we celebrate coming out as gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer (LGBTQ+) or as an ally. On Oct. 11, 2018, we will mark the 30th anniversary of National Coming Out Day. Nearly 30 years ago, on the anniversary of the National March on Washington for Lesbian and Gay Rights, we first observed National Coming Out Day as a reminder that one of our most basic tools is the power of coming out.
Though it sometimes may seem difficult to come out it’s always easier to be true to yourself and your surroundings. Don’t you know there’s a whole community waiting for you?! Here is our Founder/Owners story: I grew up in the countryside in a small town on the Swedish west coast, called Dingle (outside of Uddevalla). During my early teens, I tried many sports and tried to fit into the macho culture. I noticed that I did not want to be as macho as any other guy. One day, when I was around 12 years I took a Bugg dance class (a Swedish popular partner dance) and that’s when I started to find myself. Since then, I’ve just let myself be who I am. I haven’t really needed to come out to my family, as they have always been accepting. We have other gay people in the family and for that, I am very grateful and happy.
FOR THOSE OF YOU, who have not had it as easy as me. Keep doing what makes you happy and be yourself, we the whole LGBTQ community are here to support you!
My 7 Tips For Coming Out:
- Come out if you think you’re safe by your family. If you’re worried about your safety, ask someone you trust for help.
- Do it when you’re ready, not when others want you to be.
- Tell your closest loved ones first. Their support will give you the strength to tell others. Have the mindset one day, one step at a time.
- Practice in the mirror. Look yourself in the eyes and think about what you are going to say, then speak it out loud. Feel proud and happy!
- There are people that will support you. Don’t worry about the ones that don’t.
- Don’t let anyone tell you being different is wrong. Be STRONG! Your brave and wonderful the way YOU ARE.
- Coming out isn’t mandatory today like for me it came very natural. The important thing is to find ways to affirm your self-worth.
As a leader and enthusiastic person I love to help you out if you have any thoughts we just want someone to talk with, you can always reach me at my Instagram @erixoo